Looking at the rum line up, one can’t help wondering whether there was a shortage of entries! – Rum pundit
NEW YORK, NY — The inaugural New York Spirits Awards were announced today. More than 250 brands from around the world were entered in the competition, held at the Javits Center in Manhattan.
In a finish unlike virtually any other spirits competition I’m aware of, two entries tied for “best in show”:
• Bache-Gabrielsen Hors d’Age Cognac
• Tequila Corrido Extra Anejo
The judging panel, led by Jack Robertiello of Drinks Ink, was composed of members of the on- and off-sale community. In a blind tasting, the judges scored each brand on a 100-point system. The NYSA awarded honors at three levels. “Best of Show” was given to the brand, or in this case brands, with the highest score. The “FDR Award,” named for President Franklin D. Roosevelt who was credited with the repeal of Prohibition, was awarded to the highest scoring brand in each category. And the “Best of Class” honor was given to the top scoring 20% of brands in each category.
The New York Spirits Awards was founded in 2009 by two industry veterans, Dori Bryant, President of the Polished Palate, and Adam Levy, a spirits writer. It is dedicated to finding and honoring the very best of class in the spirits industry.
FDR Awards were given to:
• Tequila Corrido Extra Anejo (agave spirits)
• Tequila Lunazul Blanco (agave Spirits, tequila blanco)
• Tequila Lunazul Reposado (agave spirits, tequila reposado)
• Bache-Gabrielsen Hors d’Age Cognac (brandy/cognac)
• Bluecoat American Dry Gin (gin)
• St. Germain Elderflower Liqueur (liqueurs)
• Mathilde Pear Liqueur (liqueurs, fruit)
• Cruzan Black Strap Rum (rum)
• Fair Trade Vodka (vodka, unflavored)
• Firefly Peach Tea Flavored Vodka (vodka, flavored)
• Stolichnaya Vodka (vodka, wheat)
• Knappogue Castle Irish Single Malt Whiskey (whiskies, all)
• Glenfiddich 18 Year Old Single Malt Whisky (whisky, single malt)
The Best of Class awards, by category in alphabetical order:
• Agave Spirits: Tequila 3 Amigos Blanco Certified Organic, Tequila El Grado Blanco, Tequila Galindo Anejo, Tequila Gran Centenario Rosangel, Hacienda de Chihuahua Sotol Plata, Jose Cuervo Reserva de la Familia Extra Anejo, Tequila Lunazul Blanco, Tequila Lunazul Reposado, Metl 2012 Reserva Especial Mezcal.
• Agave Spirits, Tequila Blanco:Tequila 3 Amigos Blanco Certified Organic, Tequila El Grado Blanco, Tequila Mejor Blanco.
• Agave Spirits, Tequila Reposado: Tequila La Certeza Reposado, Tequila Mejor Reposado.
• Brandy/Cognac: Bache-Gabrielsen Classic XO Cognac, Camus Borderies XO Cognac, Camus Seraphin XO Cognac, Pierre Ferrand-Selection Des Anges, Pisco Gran Sierpe.
• Gin: Monopolowa Vienna Dry Gin, Seneca Drums Gin.
• Liqueurs: Artemisia Absinthe, Bottega Sambuca Liqueur, Domaine de Canton French Ginger Liqueur, Drambuie Liqueur, Nature’s Own Juggernaut Liqueur, Navan Liqueur, Zwack Liqueur.
• Liqueurs/Fruit: Grand Marnier Liqueur, Limonce Liqueur.
• Rum: Bacardi 8 Rum, Bacardi Reserva Limitada Rum, Bacardi Select Rum, Beija Cachaca, Don Q Grand Anejo Puerto Rican Rum, Sergeant Classick Gold Hawaiian Rum, Sunset Captain Bligh Golden Rum, Vizcaya VXOP Rum.
• Vodka, Unflavored: Core Vodka, LiV Vodka, Sonnema Vodka Herb, Stawski Potato Vodka, U4RIK Vodka, Vintner’s Vodka.
• Vodka, Flavored: Firefly Lemon Tea Flavored Vodka, Kai Lychee Vodka, Me Oko Strawberry Vodka.
• Vodka, Wheat: Stolichnaya Elit, Taxi French Vodka.
• Whiskies, All: Ardbeg Ungeidal Single Malt Whisky, The Balvenie 21 Year Old Portwood Single Malt, Connemara 12 Year Old Peated Single Malt Irish Whiskey, Connemara Cask Strength Single Malt Irish Whiskey, Eagle Rare Kentucky Straight Single Barrel Bourbon, George T. Stagg Kentucky Straight Bourbon, Glennfiddich 18 Year Old Single Malt Whisky, Glenfiddich 21 Year Old Single Malt Whisky, The Glenlivet 18 Year Old, The Tyrconnell Single Malt Irish Whiskey, Woodford Reserve Distiller’s Select.
• Whiskies, Single Malt: The Balvenie 21 Year Old Portwood, Glenfiddich 21 Year Old Single Malt Whisky, The Glenlivet 18 Year Old Single Malt Whisky.